Thursday, January 01, 2004

I decided to do New Year's resolutions because I, for some bizarre reason, want to join the bandwagon.

1. To stop trying to predict the future. I should have realized long ago that no matter how much I can try and prepare for something, the actual experience of it is always different then I pictured it. For example, finals, which are one of the "less" serious issues in my life right now. I have been thinking about finals for a long time, and I still don't really know what they are, except for the "insightful" info. we got from teachers who are trying to intimidate us. The same thing happened the first day of school, and look how monotonous life now is. Also, I am really worried about Dr. Oprah's final, although I will probably be fine.

2. To be willing to meet new people and places. For those who don't know, I am extremely afraid of talking to random people, especially people around our age. It is strange, but I often find talking to adults easier, maybe because I realize that if they are talking to me, then they probably have something interesting to say. Also, this was very important on my trip in Oct. because if I hadn't looked at those places as a possibility, then I would be a weaker person. Also, if I wasn't willing to take risks, then I wouldn't really learn anything. Ex. This is going to sound stupid, but this summer was the first year I went to over-night camp, and it taught me that I CAN talk to people I don't know.

3. To try and have fun. This may sound strange, but sometimes I get so busy that I don't remember that what I am doing is supposed to be fun. Sometimes it feels the only way I have fun anymore is by reading. (Excluding friends of course) Everywhere else, my mind is always focused on how the outcome of what I'm doing can affect me later. Ex. Basketball is fun, but when I make a basket, or get a steal, or block a shot, the fun quickly flees away, and I am left worrying about who I should pass to, or if I should dribble. Another example is driving. I LOVE driving, but then I have to wonder if someone will cut in front of me, or that I will run a stop sign, or if I can switch lanes. I guess that's what I'll face the rest of my life, always wondering about what to do next, seconds after I feel the joy of victory.

No more sentimental stuff. I just want to tell LT that it is a rare teenager indeed who can get 8 hours of sleep during school. I barely get 6, and that's if I go to bed around midnight, which I usually don't. I guess that's what happens when as a kindergartener, I would stay up all night watching television, and then sleep for two hours at nap time. That is useful though, because then I get extra time every night, so I can relax by reading one of my books. You know... it has been a long time since anyone has seen my book collection. It consists of two 6.75 ft. bookshelves, 4 drawers full of books, a shelf on a cabinet full of Chicken Soup for the Soul, and a shelf on the yellow shelves I made last year in Shop. This is just in my room, which we all know isn't that big. I am now resorting to stacking books above my bookshelves, and there is barely room for any more books up there.

Right now, I am reading a retold tale of the Land of Oz, which is very dark. It is written by Gregory Maguire, and it takes a certain type of reader to enjoy his books. Mainly people who aren't disgusted by gross descriptions. His books are fascinating though, because he reinvents the characters and gives them a history, and a personality. For example, in this book, the wicked witch of the west, or whoever, (It's the one who hates Dorothy) is a girl who was born with green skin, named Elphaba (pronounced El-fa-ba, or LFB, the original author of Oz) Her "father" is a religious man, and the day she was born, the town tried to kill her father. She grows up, and goes to a university to study. (Note: he completely recreates Oz, and there is even a map to show the positions of everything) That's about as far as I am. Also, the wizard of Oz stole control of the emerald city (emerald mines are found in another part of the country) from a child queen, and her regent father. It is a really interesting book, although it is confusing at times. I think this was the book Yuki recommended to me for my birthday. I wonder if he's read it... Anyways, I don't know if LT would like it because it IS a little FANTASTICAL.

Anyway, I am going to be stuck in SoDak, and unless I can get my "wonderful" cousin Tyler to connect me to the internet at his house, it will be a few days before you will hear any word from me. I hope you all had a better New Year's than me. (I spent 30 minutes trying to clean up the confetti that Sister and I threw. To show how annoying confetti is, it was behind the table in the kitchen, near our couch, basically right next to the wall. I have decided never to care about New Year's again, especially because it probably represents some ancient ritual that now would seem barbaric, maybe human sacrifice. I felt very special, though, because I spent the beginning of the new year watching a ball drift slowly down a rope into oblivion. It was special though because I got to watch it with Dick Clark, Jessica Simpson (I TRULY hope the idiotic things she says are scripted)... Oh, and all the people in Times Square, and a BILLION people world wide. It was definitely an exclusive party. BL, much later. NP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home