Friday, August 27, 2004

The Times that Try NP's Soul Round 2

With 5 minutes left in the 3rd, the US basketball team is trailing Argentina by 14. Ok. Now, this normally wouldn't upset me b/c the US can't, and shouldn't win everything. Part of my anger is probably from my patriotic streak that doesn't want the US to lose even if it's in long distant running where it's obvious that we don't have a chance. We're lucky if we don't get lapped by an Ethiopian or a Kenyan. But most of my anger is from the fact that these are NBA players. They are given money to play basketball. That is their marketable skill. But now, when they are only playing for national pride (what a novel concept!!) they are unable to work together and play well. I guess this is the example of too many cooks makes a bad soup, or however that saying goes. All of the people playing for the US are the stars of their own teams back home, but when they are asked to play against their former opponents, they are unable to change. It's all about themselves.

When they were interviewing the coach, Larry Brown, they actually had to ask him about the fact that many of the players were upset over the fact that they weren't getting much playing time as they were used to. Last time I checked, the Olympics were a time of togetherness, with everybody fogetting their own personal gains, and representing something larger than themselves. They are representing their country. And what should be a better example of togetherness than a team sport such as basketball. I've seen more support for teammates in diving than I have on the men's basketball team.

I have to go to volleyball or I'd continue to rant. But they have basically lost the chance for a gold medal.... behind by 11 w/ 9:39 left. Not much of a chance. Go US though, w/ 88 medals. Apparently we're trying to get 100.... I wonder if we can do it. I guess we'll watch and see. BL. NP.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home